Category

Development Updates

S.A.R.T Development Blog

28
Aug

Day 176 – Servo Servicing

A lot of things went wrong in Canada, sure.But perhaps the worse of our issues were the servos. The other day, we were planning on running a short demo during the regional RoboCup competition. We all got to school on Saturday and began putting it back together again. However, we didn’t have four functioning Dynamixel...
Read More
13
Jun

Day 167 – Serious Simultaneous Sensor Struggles

A mere week before our trip to Canada we had a major malfunction of our robot’s components. Our previously wired sensors had an issue where the wires connected to the contacts on the sensor would break, rendering the sensor useless or dangerous if the wires happened to touch. To overcome this problem, we decided to...
Read More
11
Jun

Day 166 – Our Robot Can Do A Full Pipe

The time is drawing near that the crew heads off to Canada! Since my last update on the wheels, we’ve made some slight changes to the original design and added an entirely new wheel design. For the original design the inner diameter was changed so that the space between the spikes and the hub is...
Read More
05
Jun

Day 165 – Jammin’ With Wheels

It has the consistency of jam and smells like jam and tastes like jam but is not jam, then what is it? You guessed it, polyurethane resin. As a side note: if it gets to the point where you need me to tell you that polyurethane is bad for you, then I think it’ll come...
Read More
04
Jun

Day 164 – Full Steam Ahead

It’s been a while since our last progress update, we’ve been rather busy with assessment at school. The worst of the assessment period is over now though, so we can focus on S.A.R.T! Now that our robot is almost built (more on that soon!), the team has been able to start focusing on the software...
Read More
16
May

Day 163 – Perplexing PCB Preparation

We need to plug in a rather large number of sensors to the UDOO x86 Ultra’s built-in Arduino. During the testing and programming phase, a breadboard worked just fine, but as we move things into the new robot chassis, which is rather tight for space, we need something very compact. The idea was to create...
Read More
04
May

Day 162 – Precarious Printing Pains, Part 2: the Prequel

This post is going to go into more detail about the different changes that had to be made to the body and how we made these changes and overcame the difficulties around them. I will be going through each iteration of the robot from the very first one we made since taking over the last...
Read More
25
Apr

Day 161 – Precarious Printing Pains

Our body for our robot, as mentioned in previous blog posts is going to be commercially printed, but before we can commercially print them we must know that our body is perfect so that we haven’t wasted a week waiting for a body that doesn’t even work. To test our body we have been printing out what...
Read More
18
Apr

Day 160 – Here be New Wheels

Time to start working on the wheels. With the help of Mr Stock and Nick from Year 11 I’ve successfully modeled the hub and tyre components of the wheel. Using Inventor, I started out with a basic sketch of the Hub outlining the main body including holes for the servo. After extruding the sketch for...
Read More
13
Apr

Day 159 – Camera Compression Complications Continuation

Cameras are going to be a huge part of our robot (Mainly in terms of importance, but it just so happens that they are some of the largest components in the robot, save for the UDOO). So making sure we have them working efficently, at good quality and reliably is of utmost importance. We ran...
Read More
1 2 3 4 5 19