By

Benjamin Bartrim-Hallett
27
Jul

Day 174 – RoboCup Canada, Day 7: Good Going, Guys n’ Gals

Today we headed to the venue confident that we could scrape in a few points by the end of the competition. That night before, we had spent our time re-crimping and rewiring every motor cable as we were relatively certain that they, as well as the torque issues, were the main contributors to the dying...
Read More
26
Jul

Day 173 – RoboCup Canada, Day 6: Functionality Finally?

Today we got to the venue and immediately got to work. Today we had the bad luck of the last day except somehow worse. Unlike Monday, the runs started earlier in the morning and went until around lunch. Then there were more runs from after lunch until the early evening. Learning from Monday’s mistakes, I...
Read More
12
Jul

Day 171 – RoboCup Canada, Day 4: Daunting Dilemmas

Today was the first day we spent at the venue. It was the practice day for all teams where we could all put our robots in the maze and test their functionality. Seeing as we didn’t actually have a functioning robot we mainly spent the time getting all the parts of our robot working.  ...
Read More
30
Jun

Day 169 – RoboCup Canada, Day 2: Bountiful Buying Bonanza

Today was one of the only days where we could sleep in, so we woke up at around 9:00 am and headed for breakfast, thinking of what we were doing for the day. We had unpacked all our stuff and found out that during transit only one thing had broken, which was lucky. The switch...
Read More
13
Jun

Day 167 – Serious Simultaneous Sensor Struggles

A mere week before our trip to Canada we had a major malfunction of our robot’s components. Our previously wired sensors had an issue where the wires connected to the contacts on the sensor would break, rendering the sensor useless or dangerous if the wires happened to touch. To overcome this problem, we decided to...
Read More
04
May

Day 162 – Precarious Printing Pains, Part 2: the Prequel

This post is going to go into more detail about the different changes that had to be made to the body and how we made these changes and overcame the difficulties around them. I will be going through each iteration of the robot from the very first one we made since taking over the last...
Read More
25
Apr

Day 161 – Precarious Printing Pains

Our body for our robot, as mentioned in previous blog posts is going to be commercially printed, but before we can commercially print them we must know that our body is perfect so that we haven’t wasted a week waiting for a body that doesn’t even work. To test our body we have been printing out what...
Read More
21
Mar

Day 156 – Less Cool 3D Modeling: 2D Modeling.

I have made a rough technical drawing of how all of our sensors are going to fit into the front of the robot. We are currently fitting the microphone, IR sensor and camera in the very front of the robot. The camera itself has to be centered so that the driver does not get disoriented...
Read More
02
Mar

Day 152 – Chassis is French For Frame Apparently

Last year the old team’s chassis had a square hole instead of servo mounts as well as screws which meant that the wheels could be flipped but it also meant that the chassis was a lot less strong and stable, which led to the necessary gluing of the servos to the chassis. Based on their experiences last year at...
Read More
01
Mar

Day 151 – New Cameras

We have currently been researching a new and greatly improved way of knowing the position of the robot on the field using cameras. We had the idea of putting fisheye cameras on all side of the robot so that unlike the old robot we will have a much larger view area and will be able to manoeuvre...
Read More
1 2