After exams had concluded, I started working on modifying the current robot design to accommodate the concepts that Jack and Aaron came up with a few weeks ago.
The modifications were:
- Shrink both sides of the robot chassis which reduced the overall length. The length went from 251 to 226mm – the minimum amount of room required to mount the NUC and servos, plus a bit extra for the thickness of the walls.
- Remove the NUC standoffs. These were removed so that we could use metal standoffs that will screw into the base instead of the 3D printed plastic ones.
- Move the servo mounts into the middle of the chassis. Before, these were slightly offset to the top, making the robot higher on one side of the central horizontal axis.
- Removed the camera hole protective cover. This was merely for ease of printing, as all I did was just detach it from the main chassis. Aaron will use acetone to attach it to the chassis when he attaches the two halves of the robot together.
- Cut the robot in half. Well, more of a 3/4 to 1/4 division, and this is so it fits on the Ultimaker 2 3D printer print bed. It almost fit as a single whole piece, but there was just a few clearance issues along the sides.
- Moved the SSD mount towards the centre. I was given some dimensions, but I haven’t verified if it actually fits perfectly yet, as the other design mimicked the internal structure of the NUC case.
The final dimensions of the robot are: