By

Jack Williams
21
Mar

Day 114 – UPS Experiments

After a discussion with Aaron yesterday, this morning I set up an experiment to test how long the UPS would run after being disconnected from the wall. The devices I connected was the BreezeLite mini PC, the Xirrus access point and POE injector, keyboard, mouse and monitor. The UPS was able to power these devices...
Read More
20
Mar

Day 113 – Filament Forever

Over the past few weeks, we’ve been running very low on 3D printer filament, only being able to print a few test prints every time a new shipment of filament comes in. Today we went on a hunt for the extra filament that we had last year. We looked in the old office, in the...
Read More
19
Mar

Day 112 – Crack the Case

Our current design has the UPS sitting in the pelican case like so: Unfortunately, in order to power it on, we would need to stick a finger down into the case and press the power button. This just isn’t as elegant and sophisticated as we would like. So, I decided we should rip the front...
Read More
17
Mar

Day 110 – Rebranding

The site we got our original logo from updated their commercial use license, meaning we need to update our logo. Fortunately, this gives us the chance to put some more thought and effort into it! Here’s our old logo. It represents innovation and synergy and empowerment… Yeah. It doesn’t really represent us. We had some other designs,...
Read More
16
Mar

Day 109 – Cable Management

After the excitement of Christmas wore off, we started to fit all the items into the case. We discovered that some of the new items were larger than reported online, and thus everything didn’t fit perfectly inside the Treka-700 case. Fortunately, we have another option. We’ve switched around the roles of our cases, meaning the...
Read More
05
Mar

Day 107 – Unboxing

Our new toys have arrived in the mail! Dynamixel AX-18A Servos We’ve purchased 4 AX-18A servos from Dynamixel. Apparently, these are the “next step up” from the popular AX-12A servos, which we were actually using for the S.A.R.T v1. The website states they offer nearly twice the speed and 15% more torque. Our old servos...
Read More
03
Mar

Day 105 – USB2AX Plan

Our two USB2AX dynamixel servo interfaces arrived in the mail today. We purchased these as they’re a far smaller alternative to the USB2Dynamixel (see image below) or the OpenCM board. We also don’t have to mess around with another layer of code (as we would on the OpenCM) – communication is direct. After reading the...
Read More
02
Mar

Day 104 – Power to the NUC

Powering our expensive components has always been something we put off to the end, because if it’s not done properly you’re likely to blow something up. Fortunately, we have a fire extinguisher right outside our office, so we can begin to put some thought into the power supply.   Today, Matthew and Riley were discussing...
Read More
01
Mar

Day 103 – Preliminary Prototype Print Problems Post (Pictures Provided)

The purpose of printing a prototype chassis was to check if there were any small issues, and thankfully we’ve found some, otherwise we’d have nothing to improve on! Here’s a short list of all the things (good and bad) I noticed when fitting all the hardware for a test. There’s a lot more space in...
Read More
28
Feb

Day 102 – Printing Process and First Print!

If you saw our last blog, you would know that we have had some 3D printer troubles over the last couple of days. We discovered that the issue was the SD card reader in the 3D printer that was causing the issue. Fortunately, the MakerBot has another way to print – via USB. The MakerBot...
Read More
1 2 3 4 5 11